About the Gooloogong Hotel
The original building of the Gooloogong Hotel was built in 1911 by Hugh Heavener and, after many extensions and alterations, opened in 1937 as the 'Commercial Hotel' with Licensees Mr and Mrs T Morrow. After opening, local newspaper 'The Lachlan Leader' reported -
'Extensive alterations and additions have been completed, at considerable cost. Modern throughout, with every facility that makes for the comfort of patrons. It is replete with sewerage, electric light, hot and cold water, 17 well-appointed bedrooms, three comfortable lounges and a spacious balcony.'
'Mr and Mrs T Morrow entertained at the Commercial Hotel Goolagong, yesterday afternoon, when the enlarged premises were informally opened. Mr Morrow looked after his own department generously, up to 50 men being in the bar at times, while about 70 ladies were the guests of Mrs Morrow. The ladies were served afternoon tea in the dining room and later adjourned to the upstairs lounge.Mrs R D Ferguson sang "Here's Love and Laughter" and "I Love You Truly", with Mrs Morrow, who is noted for her playing at the piano. Miss Elva Marsh rendered "Mother Machree", and Miss Jessie Wright played popular melodies. Later the ladies were shown over the premises by the hostess, and each guest was presented with a photograph of the Hotel as a souvenir.'
'Spacious hotel balcony overlooking the Lachlan River flats, and providing a fine view of the golf links, tennis courts and flower gardens, the balcony of the Commercial Hotel, Goolagong lends itself ideally for parties and similar gatherings. Measuring 90 feet by 13 feet, the balcony is brilliantly lit by night and has a distinctive color scheme.'
During the war, the Hotel was home to the Land Army Girls who were sent to help on the local farms, growing vegetable to feed the troops.
The bar of the Gooloogong Hotel is decorated with a vast array of interesting items, from vintage saws and rabbit traps to boomerangs and didgeridoos. All items are on loan from local residents.